Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I'm sewing jeans! Ginger Jeans by Closet Case Patterns

Ask me a month ago if i was going to sew jeans this year and i've told you "No, why on earth would I sew jeans?" I have multiple pairs of store-bought jeans and two pairs that are my favorites that I basically rotate out. I can only wear jeans to work on Fridays, but jeans are usually my go-to for weekends. But still, sewing jeans wasn't even on my radar.

Enter Ginger jeans by closet case patterns. I kept seeing them pop up and heard reviews about how good the instructions were for the fly front zip. And that got me thinking... I've never sewn a fly front zip. I love learning new techniques. This would be a great way to learn. And how cool would it be to say that i've sewn jeans. It's very impressive sounding.

http://closetcasefiles.com/closet-case-file-sewalongs/ginger-jeans-sewalong/

I couldn't stop thinking about it. I started looking at places to order denim (couldn't splurge on the kit). Ordered a swatch from girlcharlee. Kept re-reading the posts about the jeans... I do realize there have been other jeans patterns out there. But these came with a sewalong. And I'm very much a visual learner, so if i can see photos of how to do the zip fly, that's better than any amount of words. In fact, i usually don't read sewing pattern instructions, just look at the images. So I finally clicked "purchase" and bought the pattern. No turning back now.

I was too eager to get started that i didn't want to wait for ordering fabric online, so I decided to just hit the local chain stores over the weekend. If only I had known i was going to want to sew jeans - i was in NYC last month and walked right past rows of denim!!! Oh well, this was going to be a test version anyway, so i didn't want to spend a lot of fabric. Looked at joann's first but left empty handed... too stiff, too heavy, not stretchy, too light... (and i had a 60% off fabric coupon! but who else gets annoyed that those coupons are only good on Regular priced fabric. well practically everything is already slightly on sale, so what can i use my 60% off on??? the denim was on sale 30% off, so i wouldn't be able to use the 60% off coupon. booo. and the denim they had wasn't super cheap. it was around $13/yard)

Anyway so i headed to hancocks. thought i wasn't going to find anything there either... but all notions were half off so i decided to stock up on needles and pick up denim needles while i was at it. but off to the side they had one small row of denim, and i managed to pick out some that might be okay for a muslin. (plus they actually let me use my 50% off coupon so it was only $6.50/yard!) so i rounded up a zipper, buttons, and thread (also all half off!), and impressed both the lady who cuts and the cashier when they asked what i was making and i replied, "oh just some jeans". super casual. haha. so i washed and dried my denim immediately, and on sunday cut everything out. 


Next, I'll baste it up to see how it fits. hoping it fits ok without too many changes, but we'll see! also hoping my topstitching turns out okay, since i picked bright gold which will really stand out. but, this is a test, this is only a test...

I'm really looking forward to this sewalong and seeing the jeans that other people are sewing up. Let me know if you're making the ginger jeans or if you've made jeans before! Did they make you feel like a sewing ninja? I'll try to post more progress shots on my instagram "soisewedthis" and also using the hashtag "#gingerjeans".

8 comments:

  1. I saw your basted progress on Instagram this morning--congrats!! Did you size down at all? Heather mentioned sizing down for a snug/longer lasting fit, but sizing down makes me nervous. I've never made jeans before either. There's a first time for everything! And bonus: new skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the exact size based on my waist and hip measurements. My denim has a 3% stretch so it hugs nicely (hopefully it doesn't stretch out too much over time but I don't think I'm using a very high quality denim for this first version, so it might...) but as it is right now, I wouldn't want them any more snug. I basted at the recommended 5/8th which gives you room to adjust but I'm going to sew them up as is. I'll post again with more detail as I was trying to get a decent photo with them on, but the photos came out grainy. You should definitely make a pair!

      Delete
    2. I remember now that you posted a photo that you'd already bought supplies! Basting went much faster than cutting out, can't wait to see your progress :)

      Delete
    3. Awesome!! Thanks for responding. I think I definitely will if I can get my act together tonight!

      Delete
  2. Making mine right now! About to baste them together for the first "fitting."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so excited about this project. Hope your basting goes well!! :)

      Delete
  3. I just found this and I'm curious how yours turn out. I've made jeans before but I bought this pattern too. Hoping to start this week? And you're right, Joann's has crap denim but I've found some decent stuff at Hancock's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out really well! I posted a few photos on Instagram but I hope to take some better ones soon! I'm already planning my next pair. Hope you like the pattern too and I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I welcome any advice, insights, witty remarks, snarky comebacks, commiserations or just a quick hello. I'd love to check out your blog as well, so let me know where you're posting. Happy sewing!