Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Angel Baby Gowns

I haven't been doing much sewing for myself lately. I did make a simple knit skirt a few weeks ago, which took only one evening, because I needed something to wear for a friend's themed party. But other than that, it's been awhile. I should plan a new sewing project for myself.

Instead, I've been sewing little gowns for a group called Angel Baby Gowns of Charleston, which a friend found through facebook. They use donated wedding dresses and turn them into tiny gowns for babies that don't make it home from the hospital. I can't even imagine having to cope with a loss like that. It makes me sad, but I'm also happy to help out. The gowns are packaged with loving notes and delivered to local (and also distant) hospitals.



The gown above is one that had some beautiful lace details. I've also sewn little boy gowns that have vests with tiny buttons. Evidently there are groups that sew Angel Baby Gowns in other cities. I hadn't ever heard of this cause, so I thought I'd share.


UPDATE: Our local newspaper recently published a story about a couple who lost a baby,  and highlighted the Angel Baby Gowns group I volunteer for. The article is very touching and so many more people have reached out to the volunteer group! It's also eye-opening, because this subject is rarely talked about. Here's a link to the story: http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140927/PC1204/140929486

5 comments:

  1. That's so sad, but it's really sweet that you're sewing these. Hopefully the recipients will feel the love and support you're sending through the gown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly a generous and kind act of sewing- what a wonderful purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know there was a need out there for this because grieving mothers often keep their loss to themselves, but I've heard so many touching stories now that it makes me happy to help a little bit

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful project--the little gown is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I welcome any advice, insights, witty remarks, snarky comebacks, commiserations or just a quick hello. I'd love to check out your blog as well, so let me know where you're posting. Happy sewing!